May 2019   
Upcoming Events


9AM Contemporary Service
Contemporary Service with our Praise band leading the worship, and message delivered by pastor or guset speaker
10AM Sunday School
Sunday School Classes for all ages, using Lifeway resources and others in a small class learning setting, where questions and discussions are welcomed.
Blended Worship Service
11:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Our Blended Worship Service with special music from our Praise Band, Choir, and individuals. Our pastor or special speaker brings a message using the greatest instruction book available.
Bible Search
Seeing Jesus in Psalm 36 - WOW!!

Seeing Jesus in Psalm 36


Psalm 36:10 – “Oh, continue your steadfast love to those who know you, and your righteousness to the upright of heart!”


Jesus makes a bold yet frightening statement in Matthew 5:20, “unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and the Pharisees you will not enter into the kingdom of heaven.”  Bold in his directness and its true, and frightening because if we are honest with ourselves we aren’t very righteous people, at least on our own.


Jesus goes on to talk about sin and how even the attitudes behind our actions can be sinful, such as if you hate your brother you are guilty of murder and if you look at a woman with lust you are guilty of adultery.  In doing this and joining these two thoughts together in Matthew 5 He is painting a very vivid and very powerful picture: you aren’t righteous and because of that you are in a hopeless state and you cannot enter into the kingdom of God.  For as the Bible points out, “there is none righteous no not one.”


So we have a problem a dilemma, and it is in fact the worst dilemma in the world.  We are in desperate straights whether we know it or not.  Desperate because we aren’t righteous, desperate because that means we cannot enter into God’s kingdom.  And if we are not fit for the Kingdom of God that means that we have another place to inherit, a place that no one wants to inherit, and that place is called hell.


Again Jesus’ words are frightening, and frightenly true.  We are fit for hell.  We may have convinced ourselves that we are pretty good people, but as Jesus shows us we are not.  We are sinful.  John Owen says that we are probably only aware of 10% of our sins, the other 90% lays hidden, like an iceberg underwater and we aren’t even aware that it is there.  Yet it is there, eating away at us and destroying us.  We are sinners, whether we admit it or not. 


Being a sinner puts us in a very desperate place, we are in dire straights.  In fact it is worse than that we are hopeless.  The Bible says “dead in our trespasses and sins.”  Fit only for a place called hell.  We may think we are hanging on and that every thing is going to be ok and that one day we can “work our way into heaven”, but as Jonathan Edwards reminded people in his sermon “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God”, “our feet will slip and due time,” and we if we are depending on our own merit end up in a place called hell.


It’s a place we don’t want to be, not even for a second, much less for all eternity.  We are however hopeless, we have a dilema that we can’t fix, we must be righteous to enter into the kingdom of God, yet we have no righteousness of our own.  We are sinners because we are definitely not righteous.  So is there any hope? Is there a solution? There is and the solution is a person, the person of Jesus Christ. 


When we repent of our sins and put our faith in Him, He exchanges our sins for His righteousness.  He put on our sins on the cross (in fact He became sin), and then He clothes us in His righteousness.  David pointed to this in Psalm 36:10 when he said, “continue your righteousness to the upright in heart.”  He is saying our righteousness comes from God, it comes from Him continuing that righteousness towards us, it comes through Him making us a part of His kingdom, and adopting us into the Kingdom of God.  We are righteous, but through Jesus we become righteous.  He takes our sin and gives us His righteousness.  He takes our hopelessness and gives us hope.  He takes away hell and gives us the place of heaven.  He takes away death and gives us life.  We certainly don’t deserve it, but that is the grace of God.  That is how much He loves us.  To God be the glory!